Nels Lopez Wechgelaer, PsyD
As a native of Puerto Rico, I speak both English and Spanish fluently. I consider myself fortunate to have a diverse background and extensive travel opportunities which have afforded me firsthand insight into multiculturalism. I have learned the importance of blending evidence-based care with a unique individualized approach tailored to the needs and desires of the individual; therefore, I practice a multi-modal approach that mixes neuroscience and psychology.
More About Nels:
Dr. Nels Lopez Wechgelaer is a licensed Clinical Psychologist and holds a doctorate in psychology and a masters in neuroscience. He completed his post-doctoral and residency training in Pennsylvania where he served underprivileged communities and worked with survivors and perpetrators of sexual and gender violence. He also provided supervision to clinicians and therapists.
Nels enjoys working with adolescents and youths, helping them with development and working through the hardships of life transitions. He also has specialized training in working with addictions and promoting mind-body wellness.
Nels relocated to Colorado as he is an avid snowboarder and rafter. In his down time, Nels enjoys long hikes with his pets and is often playing video games or building gaming computers.
Top Specialty Areas
- Adjustment/Life Transitions
Top Therapy Modalities
- Multimodal Approach
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy
- Psychodynamic/Object Relations Therapy
Education and Experience
- Trained and Experienced in working with Addiction, Trauma, Grief and Loss, Dialectic Behavioral Therapy for over 9 years
- Prior roles working in crisis and domestic violence centers, Inpatient Treatment, Group Therapy
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Doctor of Clinical Psychology (PsyD-APA Accredited)
- Master’s in science in Neuroscience and Learning Theory from Ponce Health Sciences University